Friday, June 14, 2013

Chapter Six: Preparing an Instructional Plan

I found this chapter of Teaching Young Adolescents to be very interesting. I just finished ETE 215 this past spring semester, and this chapter made me reflect a lot on what I had learned in that class about instructional planning. In this chapter, the authors pointed out that there are several ways that one can create instructional plans. I liked that the way that the authors in this book and Dr. Cantu explained it was different from what I had previously learned. This allowed me to reflect on which ways I am more effectively able to implement a plan. Of course, this can and will change throughout my education, experience, and the needs of my students, but it was still beneficial to learn how to create plans in different ways.

I also think that Gardner's multiple intelligences and DeBono's thinking hats are a good way to think about lesson planning. Although it may be difficult to include all of them in one lesson, I think that it is important to implement these as much as possible. This is especially important for a middle school classroom, to develop the ways in which students think.

It was interesting to see how my thought process had to be different for this lesson plan versus an elementary school lesson plan. In both, it is important to keep students engaged, but for middle school it is even more important to encourage students' higher thinking skills and different ways of thinking and solving problems.

Overall, this was one of the most beneficial chapters for me. Even though it was a lot of work, it encouraged a lot of reflection on my part, and how I need to adapt for the needs of different students depending on their strengths,  ages, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment